Monday, May 21, 2007

Making sure our kids speak Russian.


I used to wonder before we had the kids why other parents choose not to teach their children to speak parents' first language (whatever it is), how it is possible that when the kids are small they speak a foreign language and in most cases refuse later on, and when does this transition happen from speaking the language to just understanding it and replying back in English.

As it is very important for me and Mirek to teach our girls to speak both Russian and Czech, we thought that it was going to be easy. As long as we speak to them, read to them, take them to Europe to practice the languages and help them understand the need to know other foreign languages.

Well, we've been pretty successful, so far. Since the day Ivana was born I spoke only Russian to her, read only Russian books until she was like 3 years old. I also encouraged Mirek to talk to her in Czech. And I remember that in the beginning he had difficulties to find a topic, make sense and not sound silly. But I told him just to tell her how his day was, what was on his mind, what the weather was like, etc. Simply to "talk" to her so that she's exposed to various sounds and gets accustomed to him speaking that "other language".

Two summers in the Czech Republic were extremely beneficial. The girls made friends, were able to communicate and create a bond with the grandparents.

But lately I've been thinking and have realized a lot of things. It is becoming more and more difficult to stick to my original plan. It takes an extra effort to make sure our daughters do not lose the ability to speak Russian and Czech. I've realized that I can't make them speak only Russian when they play with each other, even though they keep on switching back and forth. I can't expect them to remember a word or a phrase only after me telling it to them once or twice. Sometimes ten times is not enough, they will still not remember the word or use it wrongly.

Since we speak English with Mirek (of course using other two languages when in need), all our friends speak English, we read a lot of new, interesting and exciting books in English, everything around them is in English, Ivana and Leona started using English A LOT, even when addressing to me.

English will always be their first language as long as we live in the USA or other English speaking country. But I will continue to read to them in Russian and try to get new books every now and then. I will play with them certain games only in Russian. When they talk to me in English and I want them to say it in Russian, I will make sure that they repeat the sentence to hear themselves. I will make sure that I find time to teach them to write and read in Russian ( as Ivana does already, Leona's turn). I will make sure we have a collection of original Russian Classical Literature and hopefully be able to travel to Russia a couple of times before they become independent young adults and move out from the house.

I was never the one choosing to go the easy path and me teaching my kids to know my roots and culture is not an exception. I intend on continuing and inventing other ways of teaching them to make sure that "yes" and "no", and "my name is..." are not their only vocabulary in Russian. I guess I am off to "a lot of extra miles"! And what an exercise it is for their brains is a whole other topic. I'll be getting my "thank you"s later, I am sure...

No comments: