Saturday, May 26, 2007

Cookies sale.


We have tried to participate in a community yard sale today for the first time ever. We had bought so much junk from other people before, that it was about time for us to get rid of some of ours. Mostly there were Mirek's tools that he wasn't using anymore, and I decided to let the girls have some fun as well.

Their friend, little girl named Molly, was going to have a lemonade stand, and we decide to have a cookie stand right next to her. Yesterday we were busy baking. We made vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting, vanilla chocolate chip cookies and chocolate cookies with white chips and pecans, decorated with M&Ms.

Today they were quite a success! Ivana made the sign "Ivana's cookies and cupcakes", she took care of the price signs, and Leonka helped her to make little American flags and "Have a nice day" signs that we put on top of the cupcakes. They were priced 0.50 each.

I thought Ivana would be a bit more loud and enthusiastic while selling, but somehow it happened to be Leona that surprised me with her ability to sell. She was so cute announcing, "Cookies, cupcakes everyone. Delicious, freshly baked...". And when people stopped by she would just take the cookie out of the container and hand it to them. They were so amazed and just felt obliged to buy them. They didn't seem to even mind her "dirty" hands and sometimes let her keep he change. They didn't have the heart to put the cookie back and walk away, disappointing my blond, green eyed beauty. Good strategy, Leonka!

Ivana took the responsibility of being a "treasurer" and proudly collected the profits. When she had to give the change she kind of thought she was losing money. Here was a perfect opportunity to show her how important math is, that we need it everyday, and we got to practise additions and subtractions.

In case you are curious, the girls sold cookies and cupcakes for $15.50, and I made $105 selling Mirek's tools. Not too shabby... Two men buyers were wondering, laughing, "Where is your husband? What did you do with him?" I surely looked funny, by myself with three girls, having half a table fool of tools I am clueless about, and the other half cookies and cupcakes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. They look so proud of it in the photo.

Anonymous said...

Julia,

I'm going to tag you for a Meme, 8 Things About Me. If you don't want to do it, no big deal.

ChristineMM said...

My boys sold cookies and lemonade in 2005 and loved every minute of it, in my parents neighborhood tag sale. They were 5 and 7 at the time.

They are asking me when they can do it again. The problem is there are no tag sales planned in my neighborhood or my parents either! Oh well.

ChristineMM said...

Meant to also say before I hit the button too fast, that your girls look so cute selling the cookies. I am glad that you all had fun and also for making over $100 on selling old tools! Hooray!

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.