Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Musical notes.


We've been listening to "Lives of the Musicians" in the car driving to the co-op, library, dance, my chiropractor's appointments three times a week. That's a lot of driving and why not to use the time wisely. This listening has sparked an interest in exploring new classical music and the library collection is great!
Driving to the co-op this morning I asked the girls what they would like to listen to, Mozart, Chopin or Gershwin. They both voted for Gershwin, since it is something new and they were excited.
"Rapsody in Blue" was a very dynamic piece, to say the least. Since now I've been taking piano lessons I really got to pay close attention to the piano part and appreciate the fluency and the lightness of the hands of the pianist that performed the music. When the most vibrant parts of the rapsody were playing the girls were laughing and said, "Oh, it sounds like some kids are playing (read hear=banning) on the piano kyes".
It was a delightful composition and we will be listening to more classical music from now on.

I took my weekly piano lesson today and played my three assigned song with flying colors. The teacher was so impressed that she even said that maybe, who knows, one day I'll have a performance of my own. Wow... that was great to hear. Actually, I WILL have the performance sooner than I think. At the end of June I will participate in the end of the year recital for all the students that have been taking lessons from my teacher during the year. I have two new songs to work on and they are getting tougher page after page! But I like the challenge and am trully excited to fullfill this childhood dream of mine to be able to play piano.

Ivana has been rehearsing today, getting ready for her spring concert at the co-op that is coming up this Friday. She is playing a violin solo "German Folk Song", and playing a violi/piano trio "Polly, Wolly Doodle". Just to see what she has learned in a couple of months gives us the reassuarance that we should continue with the vilion lessons for her. Besides the foreigh languages, being able to play a musical instrument is another gift a parent should give to a child if the child is showing interest for it. It can always be a great hobby, a way to make a couple of bucks, and sometimes a way to have a music carrier, who knows.

It struck me when I read recently that jews coming off the trains to the concetration camps during the World war II with any music intrument in hands, were noticed right away by German officers and were asked to perform during the parties and other celebrations. In many cases the skill of being able to play an instrument saved their lives.

No comments: