Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Knitting class.

Today we went for a play date and a knitting class. I thought I'd try to introduce Ivana to this great craft, and we happened to have a friend in the neighborhood who had organized a knitting lesson. Marzhena, a Polish lady, was very nice and patient with the kids.
We were supposed to make a Pancho for a favorite doll or a stuffed animal. The project was a bit too long for the first timers, especially taking into consideration that they needed plenty of help. Leona managed to make one and a half rows, and she was gone from the table. Thanks to Marzhena for not charging me for her. As the class had a fee I knew that would be the case with Leona, but I still did not want to push her away, but let her sit with the kids by the table. That's so typical of her, getting excited to do a big sister's project, but then she looses her patient before finishing it.
Here they are in a circle of knitting friends. And, we had one trooper, a boy, who expressed interest in trying, but, of course, was done before completing even one row.
It was so cute to watch the bigger girls concentrate and really try hard to do the project.
We decided to get together twice a months. It's a bit too much for us, money wise, but I always try to support a crafter or an artist, who makes a living by selling their work and teaching the craft to others. Hey, it is always great to get together with a good company of friends both for my girls and myself!

1 comment:

Desiree said...

Sounds like fun! For Ivana, I recommend the knitting knobby (or knitting spool - cheaper if you can find it in europe but I found a fairly reasonable one at http://www.halcyonyarn.com/kidstuff.html). I had one as a child and it is a good introduction to knitting and fun!