Thursday, March 30, 2006

Washing dishes and thinking...

Lately Ivana has been drawing our "future" house, and her "future" dog, and her "future" cat, and her "future" room that she is going to share with Leona. On a couple of pictures there were only three people. I asked her who they were. She replied that one of them was her, of course, then Leona and Daddy. So I wondered where I was and that's when she said, "You are washing dishes, Mommy!" Ha-ha-ha... Am I really washing the dishes too much lately? Or has it always been that way? Well, I love washing dishes! It's relaxing for me! That's the time when I tend to think about the things that bug me and come up with solutions. That's my time to meditate. That's simply my time. Even when I used to work as a babysitter, there was a dishwasher in the house. In two years I'd used it only once. After the Thanksgiving party where 40 people attended. Other than that, every dish was scrubbed by my hands! Other women have the pedicure and manicure done, and I have the dishes and thinking done!

So, again I was using the chore to think about my confusion with finding a homeschooling groove. And then it happened. I got it! As TheThinking Mother and my other blog buddies have mentioned that there is too much out there, that some curricula or method might work for other families, but not ours, that one has to try and see what works best. I got it! It was too much!
And it's not that I'm incapable to make a choice, I just get overwhelmed by the process of choosing! I can not stand going to the mall. All that crowds of people make me feel dizzy. I don't like to shop in big stores and go through a mountain of racks with tons of clothes. It makes me dizzy. One day my girlfriend was complaining about being overweight. She said, "I'm so fat! There is so much food around me! You know how it is, growing up with all the food around you to try!" Duh...well... hmm... Actually, I don't! There were times we had to stand in line to get bread and milk when I was growing up!

So maybe getting overstimulated with the abundance is my disability lingering from my early childhood! "Less is more" is my motto. Less toys for kids stimulate their imagination and creativity, less food on your plate keeps your waist line thinner, less watching TV gives you more time to spend with your husband in the evening, and so on. But I guess all that is now available for homeschooling and about homeschooling is a good thing! Probably those families that had started this wonderful journey two or so decades ago would tell me, "I wish we had your problems! Be grateful for everything that there is out there. We were the pioneers and look how far we've gone!" I am grateful!

When one day we get to own a house I don't want to have a dishwasher...Or, maybe I can use it just after the holiday dinners?