Saturday, March 11, 2006

A trip to the beach.



This morning our landlady's son came by to install the window guards. Since more and more parents tragically leave the windows wide open, enough for the little kids to fall out from, now it's a law that if you live on the second floor or up there have to be window guards. Our landlady told us that she didn't want to be fined, and would have to put the guards. We were kind of hoping that it'd take her a long time , and we'd move out before that. Apparently not... And now we have even less light coming in because of these ugly black (and in my opinion useless) window guards.
They say "never say never", but in our case we were very vigilant about having the windows open. There is no way Ivana or Leona can open them, they are quite heavy. And whenever I wanted to have fresh air (with all the street fumes and smog!) I'd open the windows from the top. In the morning as I was looking at the guards, I wanted to start packing!

So, not to waste such a gorgeous day and get aggrevated about not being able to live in a nicer place, we went to the Newark Museun, park and then beach.

I grew up by the Black Sea, and I absolutely love the water. And now I don't get to see the sea and hear the waves every day. As a matter of fact, we haven't been to the ocean in about seven months! All the winters before we had gone to the beach at least a couple of times. It was always so refreshing to see the grey-blue craziness and get soothed by the sound of the crushing waves. And before the kids I found it to be very romantic to play snowball fights with Mirek and chase each other and roll in the snow, again to the accompaniment of the waves.

Now the guards don't bother me that much as I'm thinking about our today's walk on the beach. The sun was already setting, it was a high tide, and the water was coming closer and closer, and we had to go further and further away from it in search for the shells and other ocean treasures. We didn't find anything special worth keeping, besides a few shells that Ivana wanted to put in our fish tank. But the time we spent together as a family was priceless. I'm always trying to keep in mind this saying: "Yesterday is a history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift".

So, why to worry about these ugly black (and in my opinion useless) window guards?..

1 comment:

Angela said...

What a great way to turn your day around. I love going to the beach in the fall and winter. There is nothing so serene.

Sad that too many parents are careful enough and spoil it for the rest of us! I wouldn't be thrilled with the guards either: can you get at least paint them bright fun colors?