Monday, April 03, 2006

Easter egg hunt in the Poconos.


I was happy to have an opportunity to host an Ester Party for our homeschooling friends! When I announced it on the group list, I was not sure if any family would be willing to come since it's pretty far and on a Sunday. But it turned out that quite a few families RSVPed and last Sunday we had an Easter get together in the Poconos.

The whole Saturday we were busy getting ready, cooking, stuffing over a hundred plastic eggs with goodies, working on some decorations to bring the spirit of the spring into the house. On Saturday morning as we were leaving for the Poconos Mirek had to take so many trips up and down the staircase, running with all that bags with groceries, our clothes and other stuff, that our dear land lady thought we were moving out! It's just every time we go there, I'm afraid I won't have this, or I won't have that, that's why we end up taking half of the house with us and it turns I did not need it or had it in the house. But since I was hosting a party and had to do much cooking, I could not take any chances on missing even one thing.

Ivana was so excited about having so many of her friends coming over and the egg hunt was a total mystery for her, since it was the first time we'd done it. How many times she had asked, "Mommy, but how am I supposed to hunt an egg?"

The fun part in preparation for the party was to make edible nests that were gonna be the center piece for the table and the dessert for the kids. They were so easy to make and all the kids could not wait to munch on them. If you want to try to make them here's what you'll need:

Shredded breakfasr cereal (I used Kellog's Frosted Mini-Wheats)
One bar of melted chocolate (any kind)

What to do: crumble the cereal by hand into a bowl, add melted chocolate and mix well together. Line a muffin pan with a foil and place a spoonful of the mixture into each space. Press down into a nest shape and leave the shapes to harden in a fridge for an hour or so. When the nests are hard, take them out from the muffin pan, arrange on the plate and add a few chocolate covered raisins, nuts and/or jelly beans (for some spring colors).

In the morning on Sunday the sun was out and I felt like taking a short walk. I went out and collected a few branches, some dried grass and other plants. Then put them into a vase and Ivana helped me to hang the paper eggs which we had decorated earlier. And then I got a phone call from one of the moms that was coming, "Do you know about the time change? It's not 10, but 11 am!.." I didn't, and my heart went to my stomach! There was still so much to do and people were gonna start coming any minute. Aaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

After all, we had a wonderful day!

1 comment:

Desiree said...

Sounds like a total success! I have to make the nests too! By the way, I like your eggs hanging on braches. We do that too with real blown out eggs. My mom gave me some of the ones I made as a child. We made new ones each year. I have one with "fuzzy bunnies" on it that I must have done when I was 7.