Thursday, February 15, 2007

Not celebrating St. Valentine's.

Yesterday was a holiday that we do not celebrate with my dear hubby. We do not exchange gifts, go out for dinner, or treat each other in a "special way" that day, because we love and treat each other with love and respect throughout the year.
It was so ironical that yesterday morning we listened to the WBAI program "Democracy Now" with Amy Goodman, where she talked about celebrating the St. Valentine's Day and what it involves. Flowers, grown with slave labor and brought to the USA and some Europian countries from Columbia, "conflict" diamonds from Sierra Leon, and chocolates made from the cocoa beans where child slavery is widely used.

In the evening I received a phone call from a friend of mine who wished me "Happy Valentine's Day". I wished her the same back very politely, but thinking about the morning radio program asked, "So, did you get your diamonds today, chocolate and flowers?" And I felt a bit uncomfortable when she said, "Yes, I did! How about you?". So, I had to go and explain to her that we do not celebrate this holiday with Mirek. I wasn't going into any details, but I guess she had sensed something in the tone of my voice (even though there was really nothing there, just the tone of a tired preggo woman whose due date was 4 days ago!) and started apologizing for calling me and wishing "Happy St. Valentine's Day". Ahhhhh! Sometimes it's just better to keep quiet!
I do some fun activities with the girls, though. We baked heart shaped cookies and decorated them hoping to bring them to share with the friends in our homeschooling coop. But we had so much snow, that we did not go anywhere yesterday, so all the cookies are for us!
Hurray!!!

No comments: