Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Lunar eclipse.


It has been our second experience watching lunar eclipse. As it doesn't happen often, every time it is an amazing sight! They say next lunar eclipse will be in December 2010. And weather permitting it can be observed today anywhere in the US according to NASA.

Eclipses occur only if at full moon when the sun, Earth and moon are in a perfect line. Because the moon's orbit around Earth is not perfectly aligned with the plane of Earth's orbit around the sun, eclipses do not occur at every moon.

They were predicting the moon to possibly turn turquoise color, but we did not see that. Of course I grabbed my camera and went outside. The sky was perfectly clear on a rather frosty night. I was trying to snap a shot without a tripod. I was just leaning against the tree, and holding my breath for a few seconds. But it was impossible to hold my camera still still I was trembling from being cold. I sent Mirek to get the tripod, and the result was much better!

It is such a mystical thing to observe! You just sink into the sky and forget about things around you! It is truly magical!

Interestingly, Christopher Columbus famously used a blood-red eclipse in 1504 to frighten natives on Jamaica into feeding his crew.












1 comment:

Mirek said...

You didn't send Mirek to get the tripod. Mirek offered you to get it, because he is a gentleman.