Monday, July 02, 2007

What we've been doing.

It's been pretty busy and I couldn't find time to blog. So, I'll just write a few lines about my recent "projects". I was helping Mirek to build a deck. It was a pretty big deck to build (12x24) and he didn't have a helper. So, I volunteered and after my dear hubby showed me how to hold and operate the nail gun the work went much faster and more productive. He was cutting the wood and I was nailing the planks down. He said he was very impressed with my abilities!

Then, I helped Mirek with staining the table. Also, we started painting the front of the house to finally be able to take a picture of it and put it up for sale (the fixer upper we bought 2 years ago).

My stained glass door took me almost 3 weeks to complete and it's done as well. First, I have one design in my head, and then I had to simplify it to safe on materials and time, the most important asset. I'll post the pictures later.

We've been also having a lot of visits, spent almost every day (weather permitting) on the beach, keep on collecting bugs for our "Summer Bug Collection". We don't catch them, really, but when we go for a walk in the neighborhood we take the dead ones we find. This year there are a lot of Gypsy Moth caterpillars. We've been observing them grow from a tiny ones to a gigantic size. And yesterday we found two chrysalises and took them home to see them hatch.
And for the bug collection, we are trying to identify each of our "treasured finds", learn a fact or two about them, find a Latin name and have it displayed on the wall in the wooden box.

And I've learnt a new trick on how to have the bugs spread out their wings if you want to have a nice exhibit. But it has to be alive... What you do is you put it into a plastic bag and into the freezer for half an hour or so. When the bug freezes it spreads the wings...

No comments: